It is no longer a matter of “if” but “when” a real world threat will compromise your business data. Will you be ready
Nearly 75% of SMBs operate without a disaster recovery plan and only 25%
are “extremely confident” that they can restore data if it was compromised.
Only 50% of SMBs back up less than 60% of their data. The remaining 40%? No
protection for it whatsoever.
What happens when disaster strikes? Businesses must scramble to retrieve
important data. According to IDG, it takes around 7 hours to resume normal
operations after a data loss incident, with 18% of IT managers saying that it
takes 11 to 24 hours, or even longer.
Imagine you are an Engineering company that can’t produce parts or receive orders because
your server is down. How long could this business be down before it starts to
lose orders and customers? Imagine you are a law firm that needs specific case files, but
whose files were recently “locked up” by Ransomware. Imagine you are a retail
business that needs to process hundreds of transactions a day, but your point
of sale system was damaged in an electrical storm, and you can’t process and
record transactions. How will you stay in business? What will you do?”
Now imagine getting it all back in a matter of seconds.
It’s no longer a matter of “if,” but “when” a real world threat will compromise
your business data. Between natural disasters, viruses, user error, and
ransomware like ”cryptolocker,” these threats are becoming ever-present.
Business Continuity is more than just a backup.
Backup answers the questions: is my data safe? Can I get it back in case
of a failure?
Business continuity, on the other hand, involves thinking about the business at a
higher-level and asks: how quickly can I get my business operating again in case
of system failure?
Thinking about data backup is a good first step. Business continuity is equally
important to consider as it ensures your business is able to get back up and
running quickly if disaster strikes. For example, if your server dies, you
wouldn’t be able to quickly get back to work if you only had file-level backup.
Your server would need to be replaced, software and data re-installed, and the
whole system would need to be configured with your settings and preferences.
This process could take days. Can your business afford to lose that time?
When talking about business continuity, we think in terms of Recovery Time
Objective (RTO), and Recovery Point Objective (RPO).
RTO: The Recovery Time Objective is the duration of time within which a business
must be restored after a disruption to avoid unacceptable consequences.
RPO: The Recovery Point Objective is the maximum tolerable period of time in
which data might be lost due to a disaster.
By calculating your desired RTO, you have determined the maximum time that
you can be without your data before your business is at risk. Alternatively, by
specifying the RPO, you know how often you need to perform backups. You may
have an RTO of a day, and an RPO of an hour depending on what your business
requires. But calculating these numbers will help you understand what type of
data backup solution you need.
Once you determine your RPO and RTO, it’s time to calculate how much
downtime and lost data will actually cost you. Simply add up the average per hour
wage, the per-hour overhead, and the per-hour revenue numbers and you
have how much a data loss will cost you.
Alternatively, check out this free, easy-to-use online RTO Calculator for instant
RPO, RTO and downtime costs http://tools.dattobackup.com/rto/
While most small businesses may not have the same size IT budget as larger enterprises,
the risks facing their business data are the same. Data backup solutions come in all
different flavours. No matter what solution you chose, implementing data backup and
business continuity should be a priority for your business.
Atlas Business can provide a comprehensive backup, recovery, and business continuity
solution that gets your business up and running instantly in the event you
can’t access your data or systems.
Furthermore we will manage everything for you, from the setup and configuration to the day to day monitoring and management, we can provide you with complete peace of mind.
Come and see us Stand 632, at The North’s Largest Business Exhibition, Manchester Central, 17th & 18th March, tickets are completely free and get you into more than 100 seminars and workshops.